Sunday, December 19, 2010

Change Your Kid? No Way!

My 8th grade friends who signed my yearbook would write, "Don't ever change!"

Now that's kind of a silly phrase because things are always changing and I've certainly changed since then... But, I think they were still on to something...

I may have "grown up" by growing a foot taller but I still find myself acting like a kid most of the time.  I'm 24 and I still don't consider myself an "adult."  It's partly due to a few incidences throughout my public education where I found the "adults, the educators, the people who are right," to be hypocritical, ignorant, pessimistic and often wrong.  At a young age, I couldn't make sense of the adult world which I was suppose to be preparing for.

Luckily, I'm pursuing a career path in the arts with film where your "inner child" is often encouraged.  It's important to look at things with a childlike curiosity, to see things new, to continue to learn.  It's also important to balance your inner child.  Some people take it too far, like the directors who throw tantrums on set and act like a baby.  Here's a good example.

Anywho, I was thinking of this because I just had a great time at my little cousin's birthday party which was at a "bouncy" kids place: lots of moon walks.  I might have had more fun then they did!  My brother-in-law and I were "warned" for slam dunking on the basketball bouncy.  It was awesome!


It's always been a little dream of mine that if I ever become a millionaire, I would buy a few acres of land and fill it with trampolines side-by-side.  That way I could spend a whole weekend just jumping around, you know?

Did I also mention that some "grown up" friends of mine reunited over Thanksgiving at Zap Zone?  Well we did.  And I still think it's awesome to destroy teenagers in laser tag!

So, this may be contradictory to most things I say on this blog... but hey kids, "Don't ever change!"

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marty:

    Greetings from Portland where I'm visiting daughters and granddaughter. Taking some downtime to check out interesting blogs from across the universe....linking from random posts to random posts....which is how I ever met you in the first place. Hope all is well....that you're having a wonderful holiday season full of tradition and innovation. Hope Kelly is doing well in Vail. Are you planning on resuming your travels in 2011? Keep me posted. All the best,
    Sincerely,
    Bridgette from Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey im one of those 8th grade friends...but i dont think i wrote that...glad to see your doing good for yourself good luck in whatever your trying to find...hahaha

    ReplyDelete