Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Change of Direction: Travel Filmmaker?

Lota, Chile

While packing for Chile and South America, I was hustling my cameras, lenses, computer and other gear on Craigslist to invest in some new travel gear and a camera package that was light and versatile and could travel with me in one backpack.  In the back of my mind, I want to become a travel filmmaker, photographer, and/or writer on this journey.  Sounds like a dream job, right?  How do I do it professionally?  How do I make money to sustain myself and traveling?  I don't know.  Either way, I want to have the tools needed to shoot in a variety of conditions should a job or opportunity present itself.

After the new gear, insurance, airfare, fees, and other expenses,  I arrived in Chile with only a couple hundred dollars- much less then I feel comfortable navigating with.  In the past, I returned from an Alaskan road trip broke and stuck for months.  Since then, I've tried to be a bit more cautious.  The challenge with my work exchange travel lifestyle is having a little money saved or finding a freelance gig so I can get to the next place or job.  Once there, I can usually sustain myself fine for the present making little to no money and having few expenses- also, thanks to living with family and friends for periods in-between.

Recently, I have been thinking of summer travel plans after my volunteer term ends.  After the investment to get here, I don't plan to return home until I experience much of what South America has to offer.  I want to go to Patagonia and then make my way north slowly by bus to several destinations and eventually home.  I have plenty of time to do this... but only a couple hundred dollars.  I wouldn't say it's not possible, but it would be a challenge.  

I was starting to think my camera gear investment went too far.  It was risky and foolish.  I should have left myself more travel money.  I guess my fall back plan was that I could always sell my camera or computer to travel or get home.  But because they're my tools for occasional freelance work and one of the few ways I know how to make money, expression and hobby aside, that seemed foolish too.

However, last week I was able to sell my last lens back home via my parents and Craigslist.  That was a relief as I now have some travel money I can work with.

Last week I also received the exciting news that I have been selected as the filmmaker for this fall's Glimpse Correspondent Program!  I'm really glad I invested in my camera gear now!  I'll be producing films about stories abroad with the guidance and mentorship of the editors at Glimpse.  Meanwhile, I'll receive free tuition to MatadorU's Travel Journalism courses on writing, photography, and filmmaking where I hope to develop my craft and perhaps learn how to make a lifestyle and profession from traveling.  The program also includes a stipend after my finished films are published on the Matador website.  Awesome!

I'm not sure where this will go, but it's gonna be an exciting new chapter for my life and career!


Lota, Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment