Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Change in Competence: From a Second Story Ladder in Alaska

Marty at the end of a great day of work.  Ninilchik, AK.

I made it to Alaska. I traveled here by road with my girlfriend Kelly over the course of 4 weeks. We’re over 4,000 miles away from home. When we crossed the Alaskan border, we reviewed our dwindling finances. We knew that to keep this expedition going in the long run, we would have to make some capital. We spent the past few days applying to any possible jobs and gigs we could find on Craigslist.

Our Camp on Bishop's Beach, Homer, AK.

I wake up to early day light with a breath of the sea. I’m laying on Bishop’s beach in Homer, AK where Kelly and I slept the past two nights in the open air without a tent. It’s overcast and cold with a wet drizzle. We managed to stay warm by huddling around a beach wood fire and burying hot rocks in the sand beneath us to create a warm toasty bed.

Today will be a new day. A day of new found competence.

We’re driving North to the town of Ninilchik. I’m going to hang drywall and do handyman work for a couple of days. I’m a bit anxious as we pull up to the cabin because I’ve never hung drywall before…

 Day 3: Marty Sanding.  Cabin in Background.  Ninilchik, AK.

I use to work summers with my dad who is a carpenter. The majority of our work was steel framing in finished basements. Through that, I understood the layout and procedure for hanging drywall but never had to do it myself. I ignored this small detail while exaggerating my construction experience on the telephone to Ken, the homeowner who hired me. Hey, I need the job.

I’m hanging drywall with Jon, the full-time handyman who lives in a small cabin on Ken’s property. Normally, hanging drywall sucks, especially ceiling drywall. Really, it sucks really, really bad. Those who have done it or do it on a regular basis know. However, after this particular ten hour day, the soreness in my arms and on the top of my head felt really good: I’m traveling in Alaska, without an itinerary, exploring at will, and making a little money to keep it going. This is awesome!

 Jon's Cabin on the Right.  Ninilchik, AK.

After work Kelly and I cook up dinner: A delicious scramble of eggs, red potatoes, onions, peppers, and cheese. We eat and drink over a merry bonfire with Jon. The view at the fire pit is incredible: The property sits on a cliff above the beach that overlooks the bay and four volcanoes. We camp there for the night.

 Beach Houses.  The property I was working at is up on the cliff.
 The View from the fire pit.  Not a bad way to end the day, eh?

Jon and I finish up the drywall on the second day. Meanwhile, Kelly is hanging out on the beach painting. Jon and I then start tackling a list of loose ends around the cabin. First up, is to hang some flashing on the roof.

I managed the first day without making a fool of myself. I looked like I knew what I was doing… and for the most part I did. However, my lack of experience became apparent on day two. While working with my dad, I only worked of 8-12 foot ladders. I’ve never done any roofing or high ladder work… and Jon could tell. On my attempt to the roof, Jon noticed my cautious steps. “You haven’t done much high ladder work have you?” “Nope!”

So here I am: Standing on a ladder at the roof of a tall 2 story cabin. My knees are a bit week as I sling my drill over the top of the roof to screw in the flashing. I finish and take moment to admire the height I climbed. I wonder how long I’ll be in debt if my uninsured body falls to the ground and survives. Is this $150 a day worth it? I try not to think about it and I look out over the roof. From here, the view is incredible. I see the beach, the water, and the volcanoes in the distance. More importantly, for the first time, I see the Alaskan sun. After a month of straight rain and overcast days during this record breaking season of summer gloom, the sun is finally out to play. My skin tans under the blue skies and it feels great!


It was at this moment while standing precariously on a two story ladder that I have a profound feeling of competence. Everything felt right. Everything felt possible. I felt like “I made it.” I could do anything. Be anything. I am capable of traveling far distances and figuring out the necessary means to survive. Boom! I am a competent individual.

I express these feelings outwardly into the world with a simple smile and then I climb down the ladder.
After work, Ken, his wife Elle, and their friend Kurt returned with some fresh Halibut they caught that day. Elle cooks up an excellent fried fish dinner for all of us and we enjoy another excellent bonfire with drinks while the sun sets over the volcano in the distance.

On the third day, I work a half day to finish up some loose ends. Kelly and I leave that afternoon. We take away a great experience and a bit of money to keep our journey going!
 Day 3: Finishing up some sanding.

 I feel more competent with work that makes you sweaty and dirty.

Kelly and I played on the beach after work.
 
We sat here and read for a bit.
 
And then we continued on with our journey...
 
[Names we're changed for people in this article.]

1 comment: