Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Change in Career: Contesting Day Jobs

Watch the Mountain Dew commercial I directed here:

This was the BIG (now dated) news alluded to in my last post.  I won a $10,000 Grand Prize and a trip to the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona for the Mountain Dew contest hosted by MOFILM.  Kelly, Danny (the "director" in the spot), and I had a great time in Barcelona thanks to the awesome hospitality of MOFILM.  It seems this is the beginning of several opportunities.  We we're also featured in an article on AnnArbor.com.  Check it out!  See the full cast/credits below, all of which are great friends and regular collaborators.

Around that same time, I almost won a commercial contest for Trident Layers too... but I ran into a snafu when I didn't have all my paperwork in place... which cost me $7500... lesson learned.  Do your paperwork in advance, even though it's obnoxiously boring.  Hopefully, Trident will come back and buy the spot though.

Also, Kelly and I just entered another MOFILM competition for Chevrolet. We cut an awesome spot together with our Alaska road trip footage from last summer. It was a very happy coincidence that I drive a Chevy!  Grand Prize is $8000 and a trip to Tribecca Film Festival.  I'll keep ya updated on that one!

All this contest stuff has certainly created a new career push towards directing commercials.  Some new opportunities are developing.  I'm making money as a director where only a few months ago I couldn't get a job as a stock boy.  So hopefully I can put off getting a day job since it's tough to find one even if you want it.

Things are looking good!  As is the Michigan sun that is finally coming out to play!

-----

Mountain Dew - "The Pitch"

Cast: 

Danny Mooney: "Director" 
David Roetman: "Executive" 
Natalie Condon: "Secretary" 

Crew: 

Marty Stano: Writer/Director/Producer/Editor 
Debashis Mazumder: Producer/Assistant Director 
Natalie Condon: Producer 
Benjamin Dell: Director of Photography 
Joey Ostrander: Art Director 
David Fienup: Sound Recordist/Sound Designer/Audio Engineer 
Chris Miller: Gaffer 
Geoffrey Gilbert: Camera Assistant 
Josh Condon: Sound Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment